Disclaimer:

This is my story and my journey; these are my viewes and my opinions only! I am not, nor do I profess to be a doctor, or a theologian. Please use your own discretion when reading these posts. I didn't survive cancer to die of stress!



Friday, March 18, 2011

5yr Cancerversary

For the past several weeks, I thought about my approaching cancerversary with a combination of reverence, anxiety, grief, delight, and liberation. Sounds crazy, huh? Well welcome to my “new normal” the life of a cancer survivor. When you are a cancer survivor, you have this date engraved in your memory like you birthday, wedding day, September 11, the day Marvin Gaye died.  You'll never forget where you were or what you were doing when you heard the words, "You have cancer." For me that date is March 17, 2006, a kind of new birthday. My life as I knew it would never be the same again, no matter the outcome. I never planned on becoming an ovarian cancer survivor because, like most people, I never planned on having ovarian cancer. When you're a young woman, getting on with your life, cancer let alone ovarian cancer is the last thing on your mind.

Although this cancer journey has been long and some times frightening, along the way I have met many amazing women who I am proud to call sister-friends. Today I will spend time quietly remembering some of those women who didn't make it this far in their journey. We are all at different stages of our cancer journeys, but united in our desire to be there for each other through this rollercoaster ride our lives have now become. From the time I first heard the words "you have cancer", I have been surrounded with love and support. Support I am still humbled by today. From prayers, meals, cards, to those who would sit quietly with me in the chemo room...I have loved it all.

This year I have reached the quintessential 5-year mark where cancers survivors are considered “out of the woods”. (Whew) What helps me find meaning in all of this is a deep desire to give something back, to help others with a diagnosis of cancer. I have a story that needs to be shared so that others will not feel alone in their fight against cancer. So armed with the lessons I have learned from my cancer experience, I look to the future and vow to make the best life I can for myself and those I care about and in the process to hopefully touch the lives of others with some of the compassion and love I was given. The more I do, the more I want to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment