Disclaimer:

This is my story and my journey; these are my viewes and my opinions only! I am not, nor do I profess to be a doctor, or a theologian. Please use your own discretion when reading these posts. I didn't survive cancer to die of stress!



Monday, September 13, 2010

Survivor…yeah that’s me!

Dictionary.com defines survivor as a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks. For some cancer patients the word survivor does not do justice to the power they felt fighting cancer. They want words that evoke the newfound power they attained since being diagnosed. They want words like slayer, warrior or fighter. Also some in the cancer community say survivor does not pay homage to the ones who succumbed to cancer.

I have a hard time understanding why it is a big deal for some. In my opinion I’m living after fighting this deadly beast so I am…surviving. So for me, the term survivor is more than just a catchphrase; it’s a call to action, a way to establish some sense of power in a situation where losing control can happen very quickly. So call me what you want warrior, fighter, slayer, princess, queen or bitch.

But what I am truly is…a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks. A true SURVIVOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment