Disclaimer:

This is my story and my journey; these are my viewes and my opinions only! I am not, nor do I profess to be a doctor, or a theologian. Please use your own discretion when reading these posts. I didn't survive cancer to die of stress!



Saturday, March 17, 2012

What a Difference 6 Years Makes.. My 6yr "cancerversary"!

I am now an expert in something I never wanted to be an expert in; ovarian cancer. I wish I could say that I didn't know anyone else who's been diagnosed with this disease, but that is not the case. I often contemplate what can I do to help others prevent and survive ovarian cancer. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this dreaded disease. Even so, I have lots of information and experiences to share with you about it. Though I am incredibly sorry that more women have been diagnosed, I am glad that I can provide some help and support based on my own experience. In honor of those women I know who didn't make it and as a survivor I have a responsibility to make the best use of my life... to help as many women/men as I can ... to live strong with or without ovarian cancer. For survivorship to be meaningful to me it requires a certain level of lasting responsibility.
My world has become broader. I had the pleasure of meeting ovarian cancer survivors from around the country. This year I did a television interview, wrote a newspaper and magazine article, was interviewed for a pod cast, did several health fairs and even contemplated writing a book. I continue to sit on the Board of Directors of the Georgia Ovarian Cancer Alliance (GOCA). I participated in the GOCA’s Survivors walk, GOCA’s Survivors Teaching Students program, GOCA’s 1st annual "Shaken, Not Stirred" gala and the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance "Power is Teal" conference held in Washington D.C. I got to be part of the world in a bigger way than I have before. The woman who started this race is definitely not the same woman who is finishing it!!!

Know your body, know the facts and help spread the word. Support the research, develop a screening tool and help find a cure!

BEAT Ovarian Cancer
B – bloating that is persistent and doesn't come and go
E – eating less and feeling fuller
A – abdominal pain
T – talk to your PCP or GYNE

No comments:

Post a Comment